Anyone with a great app idea for app development that’s entering the market needs to be aware of what’s happening and trending in the market today. While you probably should not haphazardly chase every brand new trend that pops up when you’re ideating your app, it may be instructive to take note of individual features that may be getting users excited or discouraged, and how you may end up incorporating these into your upcoming app. Let’s take a look at what’s hot moving into next year.
Personalize Your App
Here’s something that shouldn’t be news to anyone in the app development world: users need personalization. They want customized service, curated content, and relevant suggestions that actually work. How can you give the user everything they need? There are a few groundbreaking ways that will be gaining momentum in the next year, and here’s what we think of them.
- Artificial Intelligence: There are so many applications for AI, but using it to predict user behavior and provide the user with an intuitive experience is one to get excited about. When you have powerful AI crunching data, it can shape the user interface and gently lead the user exactly where you want them to go. If the user starts to type in a search term or question, you can instantly offer pre-generated suggested links that the user simply has to push to deliver them to the right spot quickly and smoothly. Combining prior navigations, buyer and search histories, and other similar choices in a similar demographic can combine together for a well-informed and carefully curated user experience.
- Give Them the Choice: Sometimes users just want information on how and when they want it. You want them to know all the new amazing features your app is providing, but overwhelming them with constant push notifications, texts, and emails is a leading reason that users uninstall. You should be asking your users the right questions to cater to their preferences, and the method of receiving information is important. Know what each individual wants, and stick to it.
- Be Available: Another issue users have is the need for help, and how you can make that available to them. Now, there are great options to consider from the technological side; chatbots that use AI to ask the right questions and provide solutions can go a long way towards providing 24/7 customer support. However, don’t underestimate the power of genuine human interaction. Some users just react more positively to this, so having a dedicated support team that can chat with, text, email, or call a user in need is a smart move.
Make it Mobile App Friendly
Clearly, if you are reading this post about mobile app development, you understand how mobile technology is king. So, it’s obvious that you’ll be making your app mobile friendly.
Just realize that a lot depends on how truly user-friendly and intuitive your app really is. Yes, downloads, reviews, and ratings count. But, did you know that Google’s constantly shifting algorithm has started prioritizing mobile compatibility way more than they ever have? If your app is meant to work in conjunction with a website and a brick-and-mortar presence, for example, you still need to put the emphasis on easy-to-find buttons and smooth page navigation to climb that ever-important SEO ladder and keep your presence in search engines secure. Make sure your back-end development and testing accounts for page loading speed and ease of use throughout,
Internet of Things (IoT)
The spending and innovation in the IoT sector continues to trend sharply upwards, and the various niches to be explored keeps expanding. This field offers tremendous opportunity for new development. Manufacturing and transportation continue to lead the spending on IoT technology, with other established sectors like MedTech, retail, and smart homes close behind. There’s always room for improvement within these existing niches, so keep a sharp eye on what’s working and what’s not.
That said, promising ideas are always emerging in sectors that may not immediately come to mind. As issues like climate control and green technologies keep coming up, connected devices like pollution sensors and other environmental monitors become indispensable. Even traffic monitors or voting machines have the possibility of being the next big thing, and they’ll need apps to control them.
A Shining Beacon
Beacon technology is rapidly trending upwards, and for good reason. Like IoT (and in conjunction with it), this technology has infinite applications. Basically, it lets a user’s location (signaled by Bluetooth or GPS) open up all sorts of applications. Here’s a list of potential ways to use beacon technology.
- Payment: More and more app users expect to use their mobile wallets in every possible place. Gas stations, stores, even paying a parking meter (or parking ticket!)…stay a step ahead of this trend and figure out how you can make the payment friction point disappear.
- Recreation and Entertainment: An app that can make instant recommendations on where to go and what to do based on a user’s location will be easily adopted and monetized. Picture a digital tour guide and local expert showing you the best of what a museum or travel destination has to offer, based on where the user goes in real-time.
- Gamification: Everyone from retail stores to city tourism offices can benefit from a virtual scavenger or treasure hunts that groups can do together. The possibilities of integrating augmented reality and geolocation in your app to encourage engagement and group fun are endless.
- Retail: Beacon technology can be a huge lift to mobile retail apps. For example, you can target onsite customers with flash sales, deep discounts, and suggestions on what else they might need based on their previous buying behavior. Also, easy payment options and curbside deliveries are quite attractive to retail shoppers, so explore these ideas.
Clearly, there are so many trends popping up every day in this dynamic industry that it can be tough to keep up. Have a discussion with a business analyst at your app development partner, and figure out the most viable space for your next app to enter the market.
Do you have an app idea that fits in with these trends? Then don’t hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation!