Is it better for your business to hire an internal development team or outsource web development? This is a common question business owners grapple with. However, there is no debate that your business needs to have a website, mobile app, and online presence in today’s market to compete.
This post will explore the benefits and challenges associated with outsourcing web development. Along the way, we will compare outsourcing with hiring an internal development team to help you understand how these two models stack up to one another.
Web development is a critical service for businesses that want to be competitive. Ensure that you take the time to make the best choice for your web project and organization.
Internal Development Team Vs. Outsource Web Development
Before we dig into the details, you need to understand what each web development model entails. The internal web development model requires your business to hire and build its own internal development team. Once a team is hired, your business builds and maintains its own website or application.
By outsourcing web development, your organization entrusts the entire development process to a third-party provider. The web development company your business hires provides all the development talent and project managers to fully oversee the web project. In addition, project managers report to your business and key stakeholders about the project’s progress.
The Benefits of Outsourcing Web Development
There are several reasons why businesses choose to outsource web development services. The key benefits associated with outsourcing web development that your company should consider include:
- Cost reduction
- Access to the best web developers
- Start fast
- Focus on core operations
Most businesses outsource web development services primarily because of cost savings. Outsourcing web development is far cheaper than hiring an internal team of web developers. You have to recruit, hire, and retain skilled web developers, project managers, and designers with an internal development team.
Recruiting and hiring top tech talent often costs a lot of money. In addition, your company will have to pay salaries and benefits for highly skilled employees, which will also be a significant financial investment. Finally, don’t forget to invest in employee retention strategies. Web developers and highly skilled tech talent tend to have a lot of job opportunities, so your business needs to invest additional financial resources to retain the development team you hire.
Beyond the cost in terms of finances, building an internal team also takes time. In the hyper-competitive modern business environment, time is a valuable resource. Outsourcing web development saves your business substantially in terms of time and money.
Access to The Best Web Developers
Partnering with web development outsourcing companies gives your organization access to the best web development talent available. Unless your business is located in a very large talent market, it will likely be difficult to find all the talented tech professionals you need to hire for an internal team in your immediate area. Outsourcing web development gives your business access to a wide range of skilled web developers.
The ultimate success of your web project depends largely on the skill of the web developers building it. Therefore, your company must take the time to thoroughly vet a web development outsourcing company before hiring them. However, it is far easier for your business to vet a web development company than to vet an entire team of web developers, especially if you don’t have any technical expertise.
It is far easier to scale your website development project if you outsource web development. If you have an internal development team, scaling is hindered by the recruiting and hiring process. When you need to increase the size of your team, it will take time to find and hire the right people. On the other hand, outsourced web development can scale much faster.
Most web development outsourcing companies have multiple ongoing projects at a time. As a result, outsource web development companies should have more employees than your web project requires. In addition, when your needs change, a web development outsourcing company should be able to allocate more web developers for your project.
Outsourcing web development allows your company to get its project started fast and out to market sooner. Sometimes being first to market is a significant competitive advantage. Still, the sooner you can get your web project to market, the sooner it can start benefiting your business. When you outsource web development, your project can get started as soon as you hire a web development outsourcing company and communicate your requirements.
With an internal team, you must first assemble and train the team before the project can get underway. Unless you already have an internal development team in place, it will take your company much longer to start a web development project if you don’t outsource. Remember, the sooner you begin web development, the sooner you can get user feedback and make important improvements to your software solution.
Focus on Core Operations
Outsourcing web development allows your company to focus on core operations without allocating internal resources to web development. Leave web development to the professionals who do it best, and spend your time focusing on the tasks that are crucial to the operation of your business.
When you outsource web development, your company will be most involved during the initial phase. Once the parameters and guidelines have been established, you only need to check in on the progress of your web project. However, if you hire an internal development team, you will need to constantly allocate time and energy to be involved in the development process.
How To Choose a Web Development Outsourcing Company?
There are a lot of different web development outsourcing companies to choose from. How do you find the best company for your needs? Before you can choose the outsourcing company that best suits the needs of your business and project, you need to clearly define your needs and the goals or objectives of your project.
What type of web project do you want to build? What do you hope to achieve with your project? What is the target audience, and how will your project benefit them? Try to detail as much information about your web development project as possible before looking for a development company. The more you know about what you are looking for, the easier it will be for you to compare competing web development companies.
When you begin interviewing potential web development companies, you should carefully consider the following information:
- Experience – Does the company have experience building the type of project you have in mind? Do they have experience working with businesses in your industry? How long has the company been providing services? Years of experience are not always indicative of talent or service levels, but companies with few years of business experience might not have the necessary skills to meet your expectations.
- Portfolio – Does the web development company have examples of their work that you can review? If you can’t review their work, you likely don’t want to hire them to build your web project.
- Tech Stack – Is the company skilled in the programming languages, frameworks, and technologies necessary to build your project? Any company you are considering should be willing to share its tech stack with you for consideration.
- Their Website – How does the website of the web development company look? If they don’t take the time to make their own website look great, you can’t expect them to do a better job on your development project.
- Feedback – Is feedback from other clients readily available? If not, are they willing to let you speak with former clients to get feedback? In today’s competitive development services market, you should be able to find plenty of reviews and feedback online. If you can’t, that is indicative of a lack of experience or potentially poor quality work.
- Communication – Does your web development team speak English? If you outsource your work, especially with an offshore company, you might not have a team that speaks fluent English.
- Security – What security measures does the web development company take? Do they understand the security regulations required for your industry? Security is one of the most important aspects of all software.
Outsourcing web development is a choice that most businesses make when they realize the cost and effort that goes into hiring and maintaining an internal development team. If you decide to outsource web development, make sure your business chooses a trusted web development partner for its web project.