There’s one particular situation that many IT project managers will surely have experienced. No matter whether they are working on an app or some other type of software, the situation is usually the same. They start a project with a defined timeframe and number of team members. However, because things don’t always go as we want them to, something happens and the need to adapt arises. Deadlines need to be rescheduled and more people brought in.
For those situations, luckily, software development Staff Augmentation services exist. This is a time and resource-saving practice that many software development teams are increasingly adopting. However, it isn’t just about bringing people in. This needs to be done properly, and most importantly, it needs to be done in a flexible way.
We know that sometimes it is hard to figure out the right way to hire additional staff without compromising a project’s budget and timeline. To avoid headaches, in this post we discuss what IT Staff Augmentation is, what its benefits and risks are, and some suggestions on how to make the best out of it.
What is IT Staff Augmentation
It happens often that, at some point in an IT project, additional skills and team members are needed. This may occur because something in the project changes or because a delay has occurred and there is a need to push things through at a faster pace. Hiring additional team members from third parties is an often sought out solution.
Staff Augmentation is the use of third party team members to work on your project. Additional team members like developers or designers are selected based on various criteria: the required skills, experience, and work hours needed. The conditions on which additional staff is hired varies from company to company. One critical thing that the hiring part needs to address is the terms of confidentiality because sensitive information can be at stake. Even more important is flexibility regarding how you hire additional team members.
This practice of augmenting your staff is more common than most people think, and there’s nothing wrong with doing it. In practice, many projects are faced with delays and additional requirements. As a matter of fact, failing to address the changing needs of a project can doom it. It can occur that a software development project manager fails to address the need for additional staff on time, and this ends up delaying deadlines and increasing costs. Knowledgeable project managers know that finding the additional staff they need in a timely manner is necessary.
Staff Augmentation Benefits
There are many benefits of augmenting your IT staff through third parties. These are some of them:
- Bringing additional team members to a project can accelerate the work pace. This translates into shorter development times and sometimes even reduced costs.
- Team dynamics often bypass important aspects due to the effect of routine. Outsiders can share valuable insights that would have otherwise been overlooked.
- Additional skills can be added to a team temporarily without having to increase the fixed staff.
- When done correctly, temporary team members can teach new skills to your existing team. Temporary members can also share valuable work experience.
- Sometimes by hiring additional staff you can have access to expensive technological resources that are not worth buying for a specific task.
However, hiring additional staff can be problematic if you don’t watch out for the right things.
Staff Augmentation Risks
As good as these benefits sound, there are also some risks involved in the process of augmenting your staff.
- Hiring the wrong temporary staff or incorrect skills may result in delayed goals and expensive hires. To avoid this is it is best to have a clear idea of what you need.
- Some companies will lend individuals with inadequate qualifications for the job. It is important to check each individual’s background experience, skills, and the time working with the company.
- Hiring additional staff members is normally done in full-time equivalents. That is, there is no flexibility in terms of adapting to your actual required work hours.
- Communication can sometimes be an issue when goals are not set properly. This can end up affecting the quality of your project.
Flexible Staff Augmentation Services
To avoid these problems and reap the benefits of staff augmentation, the best thing you can do is hire additional team members from a qualified development partner. Don’t just look for the lowest fee. Make sure that you really get what you are looking for, otherwise, you may risk your entire project. As I’ve emphasized, a key aspect you need to consider is flexibility. This should be a key decision aspect at the moment of deciding for the right staff augmentation service provider.
The right staff provider will make sure you:
- Discover the real amount of work hours and the skills your project needs.
- Hire team members with the right qualifications and experience.
- Achieve your goals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Additionally, the right staff provider will guarantee fluent communication with your original team members will not be an issue. At Koombea, for example, our team members have the necessary skills to blend in with other teams thanks to their experience working with our custom Agile methodology. This allows them to easily understand what your project needs in order to deliver outstanding results. Each project is unique, and we understand that everyone isn’t an expert in every possible industry. That’s why we are always willing to go the extra mile to meet your expectations.
If you think we might be the right fit for your IT project, or want to know more about our team, contact us for a free consultation and learn why our +110 technologists are what you need. Our more than 12 years of experience as a software development company will surely come in handy.