The full impact of the multiple advances of artificial intelligence (AI) may not be completely evident to most people today. Rapid progression in technology has led to giant advances in AI in a multitude of mobile apps, and its applications are becoming indispensable. Here, we’ll discuss all the ways AI is changing mobile app development and which niches are affected.
What Can AI Do?
Before we jump into specifics, let’s consider what AI can actually do.
- Machine Learning: This is the most basic task AI does, but it’s not to be overlooked. Simply put, it’s the trial-and-error form of learning, based on feedback loops and past experience. Positive solutions from random problem solving are saved as correct and applied to any future instance. Rapid deployment on this problem-solving process and compiling a repository of right and wrong answers turn this simple task into a database of learned behavior.
- Virtual Reasoning: Using reason and intuition may seem like a wholly human quality, but proper programming and powerful software actually gives AI the ability to make decisions with contextual factors. The concept of reasoning is typically split into two types: deductive (where observations lead to a hypothesis) and inductive (where a hypothesis leads to tested observations). This two-pronged method attacks problems from both angles, further informing the situation and letting the AI make intuitive decisions within the context of the issue.
- Big Data: The ability to crunch big numbers pays lots of dividends. From past user behavior analysis to predicting future patterns, AI answers the call with comprehensive data processing for every type of metric category. Advanced AI data management can be the difference when creating future strategies. If business intelligence is part of the programming, these metrics will be easy to read and implement.
Various Mobile App Uses for AI
By going through the various ways AI might either affect a mobile app’s development or become an integral feature in its operation, we can identify what might be most useful for you.
One of the most popular uses of AI for mobile apps is chatbots and virtual assistants. AI has enabled these formerly basic pop-up avatars to evolve into incredibly effective and efficient assets for any website or mobile app. The more these digital entities can behave like actual human representatives, the more effective they’ll be in gathering the proper information needed to assist the user. These advanced assistants feature prominently in the customer service and e-commerce sectors and are quickly gaining traction in the FinTech and MedTech sectors where they can cut costs by performing administrative tasks and answering questions.
Speech Recognition/Natural Language Processing
Voice-controlled software and speech recognition technology are becoming more and more a part of daily interactions. With all the advances in AI, the ability to make this technology work in various devices is advancing.
Some types of software have started learning how to pick up verbal nuances, slang, and even emotion, both in what it hears and how it speaks back. Natural language processing allows these to closely mimic voice patterns, and even start to incorporate sentiment analysis; the most advanced of these will infer emotions and attitudes, and converse in the appropriate way (i.e. apologetic, cheerful, etc.). This technology is not only highly engaging to the user; it also has the capacity to gather helpful information about user behavior and tendencies for future analysis, all while learning the rights and wrongs about spoken language and speech.
Business Intelligence and Analytics
Increasingly, businesses are using AI to make major decisions without the chance for human error. Yes, a big part of this is crunching and reporting on massive amounts of data in a fraction of the time. But how businesses are using the data has changed quite rapidly.
An important part of big data focuses on descriptive analytics, which is just a report of what the data collected shows. We’ve started seeing the impact of predictive analytics, where this data is fed into algorithms to try to predict future business trends and movements.
The newest form of analytics is called prescriptive, which uses AI-powered software to dispense guidance and give advice when faced with certain questions and problems. Basically, it provides the “why” in addition to the “what and when” that predictive analytics give, which allows big decision-makers to make the call definitively.
There are multiple other AI applications that are making a real difference in today’s digital world. Here’s a quick list.
- Image/Facial Recognition: FinTech apps can use facial recognition for authentication, while other apps can track certain images and content throughout the Internet.
- Personalization: Using AI, apps can recommend all sorts of personalized items. Songs, retail items, or content can be pushed to the user based on their past behavior, age, geographic location, or other factors.
- AI Translation: Finding top quality and fast translation services that are affordable is not an easy task. New neural AI networks can provide ever-improving language translations, so you can offer your app to the global community. This can also apply to large amounts of textual content, which formerly may have needed human services to translate.
- Cyber Defense: AI supplies power to the newest and best cybersecurity measures being developed today. For example, AI can detect fraud by instantly comparing a user’s data to past transaction patterns.
- Text Analysis: AI-powered algorithms can scour every bit of written content your business owns- emails, reports, social media posts, etc. – and transcribe it in order to get a comprehensive insight into how your business is operating.
As you can see, there are many applications for AI in today’s digital world. Some of them are more advanced than others, but all of them seem to have a great promise for future mobile app developments.
Moving between so many options might be daunting, but there’s no need to worry. Talk to your app development partner and find out how you can use this massively powerful technology in your next app. At Koombea we can guide you throughout the process of analyzing what AI applications might be adequate for your app.